Roofing Maintenance Checklist
- Cleaning of downspouts, drains and gutters.
- Vegetation and moss removal.
- Repair/Resurface damaged areas.
- Pruning trees and shrubs in contact with roof.
- Ice dam removal and de-icing.
- Periodic Re-flashing to ensure weatherproofing.
Clogged Downspouts, Eaves Trough and Drains
Anything that prevents your roof from not draining properly can contribute to the formation of ice dams later on. Leaves, twigs, flying debris and other material that is not visible from the ground may slowly collect and begin blocking rain and meltwater from properly draining. That is why it is so important to ensure that your drains, downspouts and eaves troughs are inspected and cleaned out on a regular basis.
Satellite dishes, HVAC units, new roofing material, seasonal decorations or anything that increases the weight of your roof needs to be taken into consideration before installation.
As any roof begins to age and sealants start to shrink – they can gradually become more susceptible to leaks, rot and deterioration. These changes, while gradual, can eventually compromise the original structure and if not addressed lead to a collapse of the roof.